Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I Am The Bread Of Life, Whoever Comes To Me Will Never Be Hungry.

Today’s First Reading is about the persecution that broke out in Jerusalem after the death of Stephen, which caused the disciples there to scatter throughout the countryside of Judea and Samaria. The disciples who had been scattered went from town to town, preaching the good news. The focus is on Philip, whose miracles of healing and of exorcism caught the attention of the citizens of Samaria, bringing “great joy to that city”.

The same theme is heard in the Psalm Response: Let all the earth cry out to God with joy! The verses of the Psalm invite us to “Come and see the works of God, his tremendous deeds among the children of Adam.”

Where do you see the wondrous deeds of the Lord today? Today’s gospel brings us a reminder of one of the greatest of his gifts: the bread of life.

Several lines in today’s gospel hit home to me.
I am the bread of life. Whoever believes in me will never be hungry.
Whoever has faith in me will never be thirsty.
I did not come down from Heaven to do what I please, but to do the will of the one who sent me.
It is the will of the one who sent me that I lose none of those he has given me.
It is my Father’s will that everyone who sees me and believes in me will have eternal life. And I will raise them up on the last day.
But I’ve saved the best for last:

Everyone the Father gives me will come to me, I will not reject anyone who comes to me.

It doesn't matter how long you've been gone, or where you went, or what you did while you were wondering.  Jesus has two words for you:  
WELCOME HOME!  

No comments: